When the weather is cold, I love to make a big pot of hot soup! And better yet, is being able to have a bowl of Panera’s broccoli cheese soup— without ever having to leave my house! You literally can’t even tell that this is a copycat recipe because it tastes so similar!
So what really prompted me to make this was that we had gone to Panera for dinner and my youngest son tried some of my Broccoli Cheese Soup… and much to my surprise, he loved it! He’s a picky eater, so when he likes something new, it’s a big deal. So, after this visit, he kept asking for Panera’s Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Now, you know me, I am happy to eat out on occasion, but we don’t make a habit of doing it all the time. Not that I wouldn’t love to, but with three boys—two of which are teens and really big eaters— well, we’d end up spending as much on one meal eating out as what I can spend buying groceries for the week…
So I try to get creative with meals and even try to imitate our favorite dishes. And this copycat soup recipe absolutely nails it! I literally couldn’t taste the difference… so good!! Now, if I could just figure out how to make a copycat recipe of those baguettes…
Ingredient list for Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 3 large carrots, shredded finely
- ½ bag (6 oz.) frozen baby broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup Ragu cheese sauce (or Colby jack cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the olive oil into the pan.
- Turn stove on to medium heat.
- Add finely diced onion, shredded carrots, and frozen baby broccoli florets to pan.
- Sauté until onions are translucent, and carrots and broccoli are soft.
- Add in butter, allow to melt.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat vegetables evenly.
- Add chicken stock.
- Cook and stir, allow to thicken.
- Add in cheese sauce and milk.
- Turn off heat, allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
Related recipe! You might also want to try this recipe for Quick, Easy, and Delicious Broccoli Cheese Noodle Soup!