Here’s a fun way for your kids to celebrate Valentine’s Day… with glitter slime!
Do your kids love to play with slime? I think pretty much every kid loves to play with slime, right?! So instead of the standard boring green or yellow slime, we are getting a bit festive for Valentine’s Day, because, after all, nothing says “be mine” like some Valentine’s Day glitter slime!
Your kids may love playing with it, but do they know how it’s made? That is part of the fun— mixing all the ingredients together and actually making the slime! Your kids can get messy, and maybe even learn something too!
This is a fun science experiment, but you don’t have to tell them it’s actually educational. That can just be our little secret…
Here is what you will need to make the slime:
- clear glue
- baking soda
- contact solution
- large paper plate
- plastic fork or spoon
- food coloring *optional
- plastic bag (for storage and later disposal)
Directions to make Glitter Slime:
- Mix 1 cup of clear glue with a ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Sprinkle in the glitter. For Valentine’s Day, we are using pink glitter and pink, red, and silver heart-shaped glitter.
- Add contact solution, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Combine on the plate until the mixture is somewhat stiff, yet gooey.
- This is where the get-your-hands-dirty part comes in… now you need to pick up the slime and kneed it with your hands— and pull it and stretch it until it is very elastic-y.
So pretty and festive! Happy Valentine’s Day!
*Make sure to dispose of this concoction in a plastic storage bag. You DO NOT want to pour this down the drain, as it could cause a blockage.