Easy & Creative Ways to make Money this Summer
Summer is the perfect time to kick back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful weather. It is also the perfect time to make a little extra money. So whether you are looking to pay down some credit cards, pay off some old bills and clean up your credit, or take a little vacation, you may want to try these 11 easy, creative ways to make money this summer.
This post has been sponsored by Lexington Law and may contain affiliate links. Please know that all opinions are mine alone and are honestly conveyed.
Have a Garage Sale
Having a garage sale is one of the quickest and easiest ways to not only declutter your house, but also to make some extra money. Start with your closest and clean out the things that you no longer wear or that no longer fit, and then head to the basement and pull out the bigger items that have just been collecting dust and taking up space for the last ten years—you know, like those skis that you haven’t used since college, old furniture, or even exercise equipment…
Related article: Tips to Make More Money from your Garage Sale
Sell Stuff at a Consignment Store
If you find that you have some clothing in very good condition, jewelry, hats, or even vintage items, you may want to consider using a consignment shop to sell your stuff. You will probably make a bit more money than putting these items in a traditional yard sale too. Don’t have a consignment store close-by? No problem. You can easily sign up for Thredup or Poshmark—both are online consignment stores where you can buy and sell used clothing and accessories.
Sell stuff online
- Make Your Own Product—of course, you could open your own online store using Shopify or a similar service. But selling your own handmade products online can also be done with a platform such as Etsy. Depending on the amount of sales you have each month, you can figure out which fee-based platform is right for your business. But this is an easy way to quickly expand your market, and make some extra money.
- Sell new or used stuff—whether you have brand new products to sell, or just cleaning out miscellaneous items from your home, you can sell nearly anything on Ebay. Make sure to take clear pictures and add relevant descriptions so your product is easy to find and people know the condition of your product immediately.
- Buy low, sell higher—Amazon FBA (Fulfillment By Amazon) offers a great platform for people to run an online business and sell products. You can sell products online from a business that you already run locally to expand your market, or you can run your business strictly through Amazon by re-selling new items. Perhaps you run across a good sale, or a store is going out of business and you can find lots of bargains, or maybe you have contacts at a wholesale warehouse, whatever your connection, if you can buy products cheap and sell them higher, then you can potentially make a lot of money. There are even inexpensive courses (not an affiliate link, just a good course that I recommend) out there to walk you through how to set up your own Amazon FBA so you can start making money right away.
Start your own side hustle
- E-commerce business—so many business models are e-commerce based now and that makes it easier than ever for you to start a business with little start-up costs and almost no overhead—and quickly make a profit. Most of these MLM companies (multi-level marketing) are able to set you up with your own website so that as you share the products with family and friends, they are able to easily order through your website, and you earn commission.
- Teach private lessons—do you have a talent that you can teach to others? Perhaps you are gifted at playing golf, the piano, or guitar… if so, you may be able to make some extra money teaching others how to learn these skills.
Related article: Side Hustles that will Actually Give You a Full Time Income
Become a Virtual Assistant
Because of the flourishing e-commerce economy that we live in low, there are many small businesses that need assistance with running their daily operations, but perhaps aren’t looking to hire someone full-time. This is where a virtual assistant can come in. The type of work will depend upon the type of business, but virtual assistants may be needed for marketing, social media, customer service, payroll, or recordkeeping.
Get a seasonal job
Many stores and businesses are in need of seasonal workers to help deal with increased demand. Warmer weather brings about additional opportunities in tourist areas that see an increase in business, and outdoor related jobs, such as a nurseries/ gardening centers, construction work, landscaping and the like.
Use apps on your smartphone
There are certain apps that you can use on your smartphone to both save money and make money, such as Ibotta and Dosh. Use these apps to save money on everyday items that you are already buying, but make some extra cash with these apps by referring your friends…
Use your car
If you own a reliable car and have a little extra time, you may be able to use it to pick up a few extra dollars this summer as a freelance “taxi driver.” Uber and Lyft are two companies that offer the opportunity for individuals to utilize their own cars to drive people who are in need of a ride. Obviously, you will need to have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and be able to pass a background check before you can start earning money.
Get certified to umpire or referee
Are you a sports fan? Spring and summer are full of sporting events—and not just for professionals. During the warmer weather, youth sports are in full swing. Of course, you will have to get certified, but if you have a passion for baseball, soccer, football, or basketball, you could earn a few extra dollars as an umpire or referee.
Sell produce from your garden
If you have a big garden, you may be able to plant a little extra and sell it to make some money this summer. Or if you have too much, don’t let it go to waste… Of course, you can just put a sign up alongside the road, but there are also various local farmer’s markets that allow vendors to sell goods and produce.
Teach your kids how to earn money this summer
Earning a bit of extra money this summer isn’t just for grown-ups, there are several ways that kids can learn some great money lessons and find ways to earn money this summer too: mowing lawns, pulling weeds, extra chores, set up a “lemonade stand,” make a craft to sell at a local market or online… the sky is the limit on creative ways to get your kids involved.
Start with these easy ways to make some extra money this summer and put yourself in a better financial position and take control of your credit and your money. What will you do with your summer earnings?