Healthy Oat Bran & Beet Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Please know that all opinions are honestly conveyed and are mine alone.
One thing that I have really been focusing on lately is reducing food waste. This is way more than just not letting food go bad sitting in the refrigerator. I am trying to use things that I might have just thrown out before. For instance, when I make Beet Root, Carrot, & Apple Juice, I would normally throw the pulp out and just drink the juice. But why throw it out? I have washed and prepared all of those healthy fruits and vegetables, so I may as well use the fibrous part too!
So something that I normally wouldn’t even bother using is going to be the sweetener and healthy boost to some healthy oat bran & beet muffins! And the beautiful color that the beet adds to these muffins make them the perfect festive treat for Valentine’s Day or a Mother’s Day brunch. Not to mention… they truly are guilt-free muffins!
I have to say, the thing that I like most about these muffins is that they are not sweetened with sugar… honey is used instead. Of course, the beet, carrot, and apple pulp is pretty sweet too! The only sugar in this recipe is totally optional, and that is the glaze that goes on top. Sometimes you need to allow yourself to indulge a little…
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free baking mix
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup beet, carrot, and apple pulp (*This is what I have left over from juicing earlier today)
- **For a bit of a healthy boost, replace the baking mix with Vanilla Juice Plus+ Complete)
- Glaze **optional**
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp milk (add one at a time and stir until proper consistency)
- just add a few drops of the beautiful beet, carrot & apple juice that is left over from juicing to get a beautiful pink glaze...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine baking mix, Vanilla Juice Plus+ Powder, and oat bran.
- Add applesauce, egg, honey, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Stir until combined.
- Add in mashed banana and beet pulp mixture.
- Spoon into muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- ** Drizzle with glaze while muffins are still warm.
*to order Vanilla Juice Plus Complete for a nutritional boost to this recipe, click here.
These muffins are so sweet and tasty… and it’s a sneaky way to get your kids to eat something that is actually good for them— and they won’t even know it!
Leave a Reply