Buckeyes: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bliss
Being an Ohioan, I was introduced to this delicious candy in Kindergarten when we made buckeyes at school. I don’t remember why we made them, but as a 6 year old, I did know they were a candy that was supposed to actually look like a real buckeye. It is much like a peanut butter cup, only way better– I mean, you can’t beat homemade, right?!
These are a wonderful addition to any Christmas goodie platter or any time of year. Not sure why, but Christmas time always makes me want to bake goodies that I don’t really even think about making any other time of year.
And, of course, I am always looking at the budget side of things, and I am happy to say that this recipe can make approximately 3 dozen buckeyes for less than $3 of ingredients!
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 6 ounces milk chocolate melting wafers
- 2 tablespoons butter flavor shortening
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix: peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar
3. Shape into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough for each ball.
4. Place on prepared pan, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Melt shortening and chocolate together in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water or use a double boiler. If melting in a microwave, warm on half power in 30 second increments. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat.
6. Remove balls from refrigerator. Insert a wooden toothpick into a ball, and dip into melted chocolate. Return to wax paper, chocolate side down, and remove toothpick. Repeat with remaining balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
So while these are budget friendly to make, they are also budget friendly to give as gifts. You can find some tissue paper, small Christmas boxes, and ribbons on sale or at the dollar store and give a gift that not only tastes delicious, but looks festive too!
I hope you will enjoy these buckeyes as much as our family does! Happy baking and Merry Christmas!